Monday, February 23, 2009

Breast Friends...and a second look



My honest personal opinion...don't whip out your boob in public! I know that people feel differently on this topic, but I have breastfed four children...some longer than others...so I feel I am entitled to my opinion!

I had 'one of those days'...staying up late trying to find the folder of 'legal documents', waking up early to run 45 minutes to pick up a copy of Fruitcake's birth certificate, running back to register her for Kindergarten, trying to figure out her and Sassy Pant's schedules next year, changing Sassy Pant's preschool schedule, going to the bank to transfer money to the business account (because I wrote a check and forgot about it...hopefully it didn't already bounce...oops.) All with two wonderfully active little ladies.
When lunch time rolled around, I figured I deserved a playground/restaurant. (I was trying to think of what to feed my company tonight for dinner...the smell of hamburgers helps me think better.)
I'm sitting there, juggling my sweeties. (Forcing fast-food in them as a stipulation to the privilege of enjoying a germ infested playground) They ate enough crap to go swim in the germs, so I sat back and relaxed to the sounds of screams and crying kids...but not my kids...so I can't hear a thing.
Then...being the people watcher I am...I noticed a toddler who took a quick drink break. But it was no ordinary drink with a straw, oh no, not with my luck.
His mother lifts up her hoodie/sweater and shoves his head into her boob. Are you kidding!?! The kid was just eating french fries...so there can't be any 'health benefit' bull-crap reasoning. The economy is pretty bad...but the kids meal's comes with a drink. It only saves something like 30 cents to buy the hamburger and fries only to leave out the drink. This particular restaurant even sold milk as a beverage option in the kids meal. Should I keep going!? Yes, because they sell chocolate, strawberry, and regular milk.
She looked like a conservative enough, typical Mo-town (Mormon town) Mom with a bazillion little kids running around. She and a girlfriend were just chatting it up! Her side/back was to me and the rest of the restaurant. (which was full of parents/grandparents and kids) So, out-of-the-blue, my relaxing moment turned sour...literally, I think I caught a whiff.
Due to the lack of proper nursing attire...her shirt was pulled more than half-way up her back...tramp stamp...and a boob. FANTASTIC! And while the tramp stamp was a enough to make my eyes widen and a smile appear...then I saw the boob and kid's head...and I threw up in my mouth a bit. There goes my relaxing moment for the day.
The kids gets his drink and then leaves to continue his play. I couldn't help but close my eyes and shake my head. She was a human drinking fountain.

I'm not in the anti-breastfeeding club. I'm not even opposed to discreetly breastfeeding in public. But, well...I'm not quite sure how I categorize what I witnessed today. Whatever it was...I must say I am opposed.
There it is.

In taking a second look (not at my new breast friend...one look will last me a lifetime) I must clarify something...
I was talking to a friend on Saturday about Smarty's school situation. I know, I know...I just can't let it go. In my defense, I don't bring it up...but I still get questions. Anyway...
We were discussing closure and how hard it is to let something go if you don't feel you have closure.
That night, Mr. Smith and I were talking about things. I was talking about how I was still surprised at how everything played out, not at all how I expected. I pulled up my letter I had written to read it again. I was honestly surprised...the things I had written were not quite how I remembered.
So, to clarify some of my assumptions...
In the letter, along with all my complaints and problems with her teacher...I expressed my desires to remove Smarty from her school's 'special program'. So, while I had concluded the decision was not mine...it really was. From the principals perspective, I think he was just trying to give me what I wanted.
With no discussion or explanations, I took it as avoiding the issue. I was really surprised at the abrupt response...but in his defense, he was probably trying to be respectful and avoid further confrontations. Anyways...I guess I didn't get closure on many of the things I had gone through up to that point. For whatever reasons...things worked out the way they did.
I really feel blessed with the outcome. Smarty is so much happier and lives a stress-free 3rd grade life. As it should be.
I'm glad I took a second look at the letter. Coming from a different perspective, things weren't handled as poorly as I thought. I will sometimes come down with a case 'diarrhea of the mouth'...and I must say that I believe it is a virus. There is really no magic pill or quick cure. And it is contagious, so I apologize if I have exposed anyone over the last couple weeks.
Again, there it is.

No comments: