Monday, April 20, 2009

I do love School Uniforms!

I have recently had the opportunity to enroll Fruitcake in a Charter School. Besides absolutely loving school uniforms...I'm not sure what else to love about charter schools. I know it sounds stupid to say that I tried to enroll my kids without much research...but to my defense... I really didn't think they would have a chance of getting accepted. Now that I have to make a decision, I'm wishing I would have been smarter about the way I handled all of this. The way it works is this... if one child is accepted, the other siblings are put on the priority list. There are no guarantees, but once you are in...you are in.

I have cousins who attended similar schools in another State. They have all been exceptionally smart, socially well-rounded and gone to college. One was even the student body president at his University.
I got worked up this school year when Smarty went through a hard experience in public school. I like to think that the situation would have been different if it had occurred in a Charter School. Maybe? Maybe not?
I have a lot of research to do...especially since I think I will enroll Fruitcake a so I don't lose the opportunity. I have 14 days to think it over. Fruitcake is only starting Kindergarten, so I see it like this...
If she goes to Kindergarten and it's not good, she can enroll in Public School for 1st grade. If we find it is fantastic, Miss MaGoo and Smarty will be at the top of the list for applicants next year.

It feels as if I have 14 days to really 'decide the fate' of my child's existence. As a parent, I feel such pressure in regards to every little decision. Hoping my kids will grow to forgive me for my mistakes. I hope not to make any catastrophic ones, but I know I have already done things I wish I could go back and change.

Another hesitation I have is regarding the social side of this opportunity. Most of the children in my area attend public school. A few attend charter schools, and a few attend private schools. I would hate to ostracize my child, hoping to further her education.
Not to mention... I voted against taking money from public schools to fund charter schools. I think we have a great public school system, and while my kids attend public school...vouchers did not seem like something I would support.
To be absolutely hypocritical... I now need to explore the difference between public school education and charter school education. And if there is a difference... is it worth moving my kids around, and possibly affecting their circle of friends.
On a sad note, I'm not sure my kids are terribly attached to their current friends. Probably because I don't let them play as much as they would like. I am a Nazi Mom! They don't have time during the week to do homework, chores, and play. Often times, weekends are spent with family... so I may have already damaged their social futures. Ooops!

I will have to do the research... then report my findings. I have great friends who are, or have been, school teachers. I wouldn't want to mean any disrespect, but I would love to get their opinions without offending them. Sticky. I will have to try and give it a shot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't have to fully decide within the 14 days. If you say, "Yeah we want to do it" then change your mind a couple months later, or even after school starts, she can always go back to public school. That's what the waiting list is for too, so take your time, and eventually you'll know what is right for you and your family.

-teni