Saturday, May 2, 2009

Fantastic fulfilling feelings

I ran a 5K this morning!
It was raining..actually it was pouring. It was WAY too early in the morning for me to be walking, let alone running. Yet, it was one of the best mornings I've ever had.

My sister and I started running last year. We signed up for a couple 5k's in the fall, and we loved the accomplishment. A goal to work towards, great exercise, and time to visit together.
We run/walked and improved our time each. It was great!
We talked on the phone yesterday. We were both expressing how we would love to just run the entire thing. Regardless of our time... just push through it and keep running. It's mental barriers for me, jumping those mental hurdles are the most difficult for me to do. We both agreed that accomplishing that would be a good goal this year.
This morning I decided that I wouldn't expect anything from myself. I hadn't trained like I should have, and I thought "well... we'll just do it! and it will give us a good place to start" I thought we would have a good mark to try and beat next time.
As we got past the first half mile I felt really good. I didn't want to set myself up for failure. Then my sister said "I feel good! I feel like I could run the whole thing!" I agreed and said "Let's try it!"
3.2 miles later...we crossed the finish line having ran the whole time. Awesome! It felt so great!
I'm so glad I could share that with my sister. She is such a great example to me, and I feel so lucky to have her as a friend. She inspires me to be a better person, a better mom, wife and a better friend.
I just need to remember that I can do it! Believing in myself, loving myself, and not setting myself up to fail. I will never be a runner, it won't ever be easy for me... but it has taught me a lot about myself. Running is out of my box, and pushes my limits...and I'm grateful for that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! I've just started running again, and very much to my chagrin, I've lost that runnin' feeling. Back before I got pregnant with He-man I was running (treadmill) 5K's a couple times a week. This time I hopped on the treadmill and I'm proud to say I went a mile, though I had to walk a couple times, and my best time so far is 13 minutes and 38 seconds. It's really, really sad.

So I am SO looking up to you, and am green with envy and admiration! Are you ladies running another half marathon this year? That's one of my goals, and I'd love to lean on you two for inspiration and maybe accountability... (or maybe pretend I said nothing...) :) Good job!

-teni