Thursday, August 27, 2009

Back to homework, Back to books, Back to teacher's dirty looks...


So people think I'm crazy... but I don't look forward to my kids going back to school. Not at all!
I love having them home with me, I love sleeping in, watching cartoons together in my bed. I love the warm nights, the sun not going down until 9pm! I love the chaos, no schedules or set bedtimes. I just love the freedom.
Not to mention, as I start each school year... I lose another child. (sniff, sniff) My babies are getting older. The older one want to do their own hair. The younger one have to pick out their own clothes. Pretty soon I will have lost them. I want to freeze them, right now!
I don't have any diapers to change. They are all pretty self-sufficient, and the older ones look out for the younger ones. Nobody's old enough to have attitude yet, and they all just love being home and spending time as a family. These are the years I will miss.

1. Sassy pants started Preschool. I always hated that the youngest child in the family got so much. Well... now I understand it a bit better. We have her in a great school, we have never been able to afford this kind of Preschool for the other kids. I think the structure and environment will be really good for her personality. We will see?

2. Fruitcake went to Kindergarten this year. (sniff, sniff) None of my children have had a hard time... leaving the nest. They are all very outgoing and excited for new things. I am the one who is sad to see them go. I miss them... especially Fruitcake. She is the sunshine of my day! She is always happy, always smiling. I will miss "This is the best day of my life!" comments everyday. And the "You are the best Mom in the world!" statement. Now her teacher will enjoy those three hours of her.

3. Miss MaGoo has an interesting teacher this year.
At the Open House, when we met the teachers... I told them that the girls would be absent the week before Labor Day. Everyone's teacher was understanding and I made sure to let them know any assignments would be caught up. Miss MaGoo's teacher and I had the following conversation...

Me: I just wanted to let you know that Miss MaGoo will be absent on the following days

Teacher: What? She'll be gone?


Me: Yes, we have a family trip planned, so she won't be able to be here


(the trip was a surprise, and Miss Magoo didn't know she was coming, so I was trying to be discreet. Miss Magoo thought she would be staying with family friend's that week.)


Teacher: (nothing...silent)


Me: I can have her do work while she is gone...


Teacher: (interrupted) You know that's illegal, right?


Me: Illegal?


Teacher: Yes, if a child has that many absences, it is against the law


Me: (speechless
)

Teacher: You have to fill out a form


Me: No problem, can I get one?


Teacher: I don't have the form.


Me: Do you know where I can get one?


Teacher: I don't know.


Me: (She's not making this easy for me) In the office?


Teacher: Maybe


Awkward! It's like High School all over again... I'm getting all sweaty just thinking about getting in trouble. Only now I'm an adult... and I'm not lying... and I'm asking permission.

So I leave her room and head straight to the office. I ask for a "form to be able to take my daughter with me... she'll miss school for a week... I was told I had to fill it out... or else... I...I..."
The Assistant Principal smiles and looks at me. He said "Did she tell you that you had to fill out a form?" yes "And she said to come here and get it?" yes "You're fine! Just send a reminder to her before you go... and if she gives you any more problems, come talk to me."
Miss MaGoo and I are in for a fun year! And Miss Magoo is my most sensitive child. It will toughen her up!

4. Then there's Smarty. Smarty is... very smart. She is fantastic at managing herself, and she loves her teacher. That girl is happy. I worried so much about moving her out of the Spanish program... and she is 100% happier. She is excelling, and so much less stressed.

They are growing up... it's hard to think that other kids, and other adults are influencing them day-to-day. I get such a short time with them. I feel like a corny Mom... but I feel like Smarty just started school a couple years a ago.
I'm sad for me, but so excited for them! They love school, and love learning. I remember looking forward to school... new classes, new friends, new clothes. As a Mom, I do look forward to getting back to a scheduled routine. Besides spending the year driving back and forth... it will be good for me too! I have accepted the fact that this year will be a difficult schedule. Here's what I mean:
Get older kids off to school... (2 1/2 hours later) Sassy Pants to Preschool... (45 minutes later) Fruitcake to Kindergarten... (1 hour later) Sassy Pants comes home... (1 1/2 hours later) other three girls get home.
But it gets better...
On Monday's: Fruitcake goes to school 1/2 hour earlier... and older three get home 1 hour earlier. Wednesday I drive carpool to Preschool, and every-other week I drive carpool to Kindergarten.
Whew!
There's just enough space between everyone's schedule that I can't go anywhere or do anything! My best shot is in the mornings... but by the time I get everyone, including myself, ready... there's no time left.
Alright, alright... whah, whah, whah... enough complaining. I just have to get a good excuse for not getting anything done!
Here's to another glorious year of education! (If I don't get arrested!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're super mom! Hopefully I can fill some of your Fridays with lunch. Also read this over you said Miss Magoo's name. -m

Stacy said...

Who is Miss MaGoo's teacher? I swear I had the EXACT same conversation with Gray's teacher when we wanted to take the kids to Disneyland last year. Never experienced it before in all my years, and have NEVER been treated the way she treated me. Some people are just so funny sometimes.

Tenise said...

About the illegal thing, Good Freakin' Heck. I have so much I'd like to go on and on about, but none of it's very positive. Haha, so I won't.