Sunday, August 16, 2009

Post Camp Report

Well... I must say that I hesitate writing much of my 'true' feelings on camp this year. (After learning some hard lessons last year) I suppose the purpose of changing around my blog and trying to be 'anonymous' has not quite given me the freedom I had hoped. Being a public outlet, I will word things carefully... and of course I'm trying to speak in general terms and writing more of my opinions and feelings of things.
Ha! That all sounds like there's something big to report... not really.

It was an amazing week! Our camp director is one of the best ladies ever... she is an awesome example of kindness, love, patience, caring, and spirituality! Just being around makes me a calmer person.
With that said... her and I could not be more different. I like to be quite organized... especially with paperwork and such. I love lists and folders and images. I get caught up in order, often forgetting to see the big picture, or just step back and take a deep breath.
Needless-to-say, our director is the spiritual glue that holds us together! It was incredible to see how everything fell into place and the Lord made up the difference for our inadequacies and imperfections.
Everyone really did their part, and tried their best to help contribute to an awesome week.
I think that the spirit of camp was the strongest I have felt in a long time... maybe ever! The girls all did so well, and the spirit was strong.
Sadly, the only moments of tension were with grown adults who really know better... and could have left their emotional baggage at home. That's probably harsh, but it's my opinion.
We had a particular incident with a Priesthood leader, who honestly scared the crap out of me! He was one of the most aggressive, rude, and verbally abusive men I have met. He was SO upset at some of the restrictions and rules enforced at camp. During the heat of the moment I expressed my feeling that he should leave camp immediately! Luckily, there were women who know him and his daughters, and knew the consequences it may have with them.
Having been victim to violence and abuse, my internal instinct was to get him the *beep* out of camp! He had brought a horrible spirit with him, had our Stake YW leaders in tears. He was yelling and saying horrible things to the sweet missionaries, expressing over and over how he didn't want to be there... it was a very shocking and an unexpected situation.
My beef was not only his attitude and disrespect... but he was supposed to be a Priesthood representative, to give blessings and administer. All I can say I would have killed over before I let that man lay one finger on me!
We also wrestled with some issues of prescription drug abuse, and of course the usual offending/hurt feelings drama. People stepping on others toes, and people trying to control situations they shouldn't have. I just don't have tolerance for things like that up at camp. I should have been more understanding, probably with the drug thing, but I get really bothered when time and energy is spent dealing with those things at camp. We are there to serve the girls, and we have plenty of hard work and sleepless nights, without having to pull any 'Jerry Springer' moments. Whew!
Again... I learned a lot! I had a healing moment with my Bishop and my own ward. (which I desperately needed) and I learned a lot about the Young Women. There were amazing camp leaders who are great examples to me. The girls are blessed to have such great women serving them.
The overnight hike was awesome! The spirit was so strong and the Priesthood brethren who came were inspirational to the girls.
On the hike, we had our morning devotional on 'Sexual Purity'. (yeah... not the most comfortable topic to discuss with 15 year-old's) The male leaders did a fantastic job being honest with the YW. There was a comment of "A guy will tell you ANYTHING you want to hear, if he thinks it will get him what he wants!" and "Men only need three things in life... food, sleep, and sex!" It was SO good for the girls to hear these things, especially coming from men whom they respected.
Then one girl asked "But what if he really DOES love you... he's not just saying it. How do you know?" To which a male leader answered... "If he really DOES love you... he won't want to do ANYTHING to hurt you or to make you unhappy. He will want what is best for you... like your Heavenly Father, and anyone else who loves you."
It was AWESOME!
We made a pledge to be 'Virtuous'. That was our focus this year, and it is the newest YW value. I can say that virtue is not the funnest theme... but I have no doubt that it's what the girls (and leaders) needed this year.
As a grown-up, married, mom... I didn't realize how much becoming a 'virtuous woman' could affect my own life. I completed reading the Book of Mormon before camp. (yes... I admit that the week before camp I was reading until 3 or 4 in the morning... but I finished!)
We live in a world where virtue is becoming harder and harder to find. Even as a adult, we are bombarded with ways we should look, feel, and act. We are told that we must compromise our virtue and values in order to be accepted socially, have interesting and fun-filled lives, and keep our husbands interested. We are not much different than the generations younger than us.
We watch movies and television shows where adult women say and do things that are not virtuous. Celebrities, models, actresses, and high society women are not good role models... for the young women... OR FOR US!
I am so grateful for the opportunities I have had to serve at camp. It really is my 'dream' calling in the church. I love the Young Women, and I am overwhelmed with how much our Heavenly Father loves them too.
While the stress, worry and drama is over... I have to admit I will kind of miss it. There are about 4 months until we start planning again. I will miss the girls, and I will miss the committee... and I can't believe I am admitting it... but I will miss the meetings too! (don't tell Mr. Smith that!)

4 comments:

gillman said...

i am so glad everything went well this year!!! hope life is going well for you and your cute family! can we get together soon???
Meg :0)

Paula said...

I LOVE you! I think you are a pretty fantastic lady. You speak your mind and I admire that. (Even when it hits close to home.) I'm glad you were able to heal at camp. Sorry about the drama...what would a week with hundreds of girls be without a little drama! Keep writing! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

what a great calling you have. Very hard, frustrating, fun and worth it. I love that they have added virtue to the young women's values. Hard as we try it is a temptuous world we live in and I love it when we can be real with the girls about what boys want. I loved reading about the overnight hike.

Stacy said...

Loves to you!
You are the the bombdigity and my eternal lollipop brother. That is a connection that nobody can deny :)