Monday, July 6, 2009

Verbally and Physically Handicapped

I’ve been rather subdued lately. (I love the word sub-duuuuuue-d, spoken in a low voice with a British accent) I must say that it has worked well for me. Consequently, I have started getting up and running every morning. It seems to be a good way to sort thoughts, and release any anger or negative energy.
It’s still hard. I didn’t realize how hard it is for me to not give an opinion or talk about what’s bothering me. I had a couple slip up’s… of course. But I consciously made an effort to change the subject, or just stop talking.
I was at a family gathering where someone bashed my profession. I definitely snapped back, but overall the night was a success. No diarrhea of the mouth. And when the topic of 'said night' was later brought up... again, tight lipped.
I'm learning great respect for 'listeners'. People who can sit back and just listen to others, without interjecting an opinion or thought. I found it interesting to not add anything to a conversation... really different for me, but also really great!
I wasn't a wallflower, especially around Mr. Smith's family, but I sure listened better.

We were able to celebrate the holiday weekend with both Mr. Smith’s and my family.
It was good times, and good food, and great company! Our family’s are very different from each other. In fact, I’m not sure they could be more opposite.
They eat different, talk different, act different, even the topic of our conversations are so different. On both sides, however, the kids are lucky to have cousins their ages.
The following weeks are completely filled with family gatherings... with my family. It will be quite a test for my new rules!

We also celebrated Miss MaGoo’s 8th birthday. Wow! We did a big party with her friends.
It was a lot of fun, and even the weather cooperated with us. I was lifting some rather heavy buckets, and bags of things, when I hurt my wrist.
I made a bad sound and I felt like someone had poured gasoline on the inside of my arm and lit it on fire! I had some strong medicine (left over from something) and it knocked me out. When I woke up I knew something was terribly wrong. It looked as if I was growing a baseball on my arm.
I went to the dr. for x-rays and schtuff. I left with more strong meds, and my arm in a splint. The best part?… I’m supposed to keep the splint on for 4-6 weeks. And even after that, I may not get mobility back for up to 12 weeks.
How excited am I to spend our trip to the lake without a hand? How about our camping trip? I can’t ride the machines, I can’t put up a tent, can’t roll up a sleeping bag, I can’t even effectively put on sunscreen!

On a brighter note… I can already tell that my left hand is more coordinated!

2 comments:

Tenise said...

Oh YIKES about your hand! That's awful!! Good job with the listening and running! Is there still a baptism on August 1 in your neck of the woods? We're considering a trip to Idaho in that timeframe(ish) so if it'll work, we'd like to try to make it in that direction.

Anonymous said...

Hey it's been forever. I need to learn a little listening skills and shut my own mouth. I miss you so. Can't wait to hang out and catch up. We should do lunch or something fun. Sorry about the splint. Is that going to work for camp? I am saving my air mattress for you. Jennifer Davis told me you said you were going to call me after I told her she could use it. Since there are two that works great and I can send them both with her if you'd like. It's coming up. Are you ready?