Saturday, July 4, 2009

I pledge allegiance

We celebrated the independence of our great nation this past weekend. I must say that I can’t let the holiday pass without expressing how truly grateful I am for the freedoms that we enjoy.
I know that I take so much of it for granted, and probably don’t even realize many of the things that freedom brings to me and my family.
I am so thankful for the brave men who fought, and the supportive women of whom I owe many of the luxuries I enjoy on a daily basis. I know that a tremendous number of people lost their lives for a dream they believed in. They saw the vision of what our country could become.
So many of the laws and procedures they established are what give us the power and means to live the way we do. I am grateful I can practice my religion, that I can work to become anything I want. I am grateful for the freedom the speak about what I believe, and write about it (or blog about it) I cannot imagine living without these freedoms, and I often forget that there are many who don’t have that.
I am grateful to be a woman in this country. Where I have the right to vote, and be involved in my community. Where I also, can work to become anything I want to be. I know that many women have sacrificed and worked hard for those rights.
I must say how thankful I am for the men and women who fight to ensure we keep those rights. For the ones who physically fight and risk their lives, and their families. And also for those who speak up, and have the means to protect our laws and uphold our constitution. Those who stand as a voice for the people. Whether I agree with them or not, I am thankful that the passion and drive of our leaders continues to make America the nation that it is.
I honestly believe that so much of our freedom is up to us. Many people sit back, complain about things, want certain things, and are not brave enough to make a difference. I cannot imagine not exercising my right to vote. An act that some consider insignificant, yet the most powerful tool we have. So many died for us to have that right. So many more died for that right to be given to every race and gender. That small, but amazing act, is what sets us apart. It’s the foundation of our freedom.
I have a family member who has strong political opinions. His opinions come mostly from sitting and watching television. Listening to men and women who desire is to discredit, humiliate, laugh at, make fun of and essentially ruin people’s lives. I can’t help but think of the scrutiny that many families and individuals have suffered through slander. I believe that all of the hate speeches are hindering our nation’s progression.
I believe that if you don’t like something, and have problems with something… do whatever is in your means to change it! Sitting on a couch is not doing anything to make the world a better place.
I personally believe that supporting our nations leaders is the best way to support our country. Granted, I do not believe in everything our leaders say or do. But thankfully, that is my right as a citizen. I am my own person, and truthfully I have never completely agreed with everything someone else has said.
Yet in the end, it doesn’t matter which side you are on, part of being an American is supporting our president, supporting our military, and supporting our country. That’s what makes America… well, America!

1 comment:

Tenise said...

Hmm.. I have a family member that sounds awfully like that...